A dental crown is a prosthetic tooth-shaped “cap” placed over a tooth using special dental cement to cover the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength and improve its overall appearance.
When Is a Dental Crown Needed?
• Protect a tooth previously damaged by large amounts of decay or certain types of fractures
• Restore an already broken or severely worn tooth
• When very little original tooth is left, crowns are necessary to cover the remaining tooth
• Dental bridge
• To cover severely discolored teeth such as staining deep inside a tooth structure
• Used to top a dental implant
• Improving a patient’s appearance
Tooth-colored composite material can be used to rebuild a broken or damaged tooth. In most cases this requires only one appointment, and the results will look natural, are long-lasting and durable. Crowns may be made from gold, porcelain or a combination. They’re used by a dentist to restore and reinforce a weakened, broken or otherwise damaged tooth.
A bridge may be recommended if you're missing one or more teeth. Gaps left by missing teeth eventually cause the remaining teeth to rotate or shift into the empty spaces, resulting in a bad bite. Bridges are commonly used to replace one or more missing teeth. Bridges are cemented to the natural teeth or implants surrounding the empty space.
As with crowns, you have a choice of materials for bridges. Your dentist can help you decide which to use, based on the location of the missing tooth (or teeth), its function, aesthetic considerations and cost. Porcelain or ceramic bridges can be matched to the colour of your natural teeth.
contact Brite Smile Dental Care today so we can help!and come see what we can do for your smile!